Sunday 28 May 2017

THE BURIAL CEREMONY AT IGARRA, EDO STATE

Although the actual burial was on 20th May, 2017, the activities for the ceremony started a day before, precisely by 2:00pm where I had to record the slaughtering of the cow. Initially, I wondered how they would bring down a full grown live cow with big horns. The boys for the job were quite experienced. There was a long rope tied to the right hind leg of the cow. With this, they tried to put the same rope through the second left  hind leg. The cow, perhaps knowing the intentions of the boys, resisted, and frequently threw back kicks to the presumed enemies.


After several failed attempts by the cow, the rope eventually caught up with the left leg, the rope was pulled hard, and gripped both hind legs together. Quickly it fell down. A knife was soon put through its throat with blood gushing out like a fast-flowing stream.

I also captured the cooking all night long with my Sony HD video camera. By 10:00am, I went along with the procession to the mortuary. After which, the procession proceeded to Daniel Lawani avenue, Off Ewua road, Benin city. There, the funeral discourse was given. The speaker, among others, quoted a scripture that captured my attention. It was Ecclesiastes 7: 1,2 which says that a good name is better than riches. It also says that the day of death is better than the day of birth. It further says that it is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of feasting. These verses made me to put on my thinking cap and pondered deeply about the true essence of life. 

The discourse was concluded within 30mins. Reception followed immediately at the same venue. I was so dedicated to my work that I forgot to grab my own take-away pack. At the time I requested it was already finished.

At 2:00pm the procession set off to Igarra where the corpse would be laid to rest. The road was narrow and full of pot  holes, especially at Ekpoma. The journey took us about 3 hours to arrive at Igarra. There was a brief graveside discourse, and thereafter the corpse was lowered down. At about 6:35pm we left for Benin. This time the journey took more time, since it was night already.  
Call 07054107283 if you want us to cover your  events

No comments:

Post a Comment